|WCSI Local News|
Columbus firefighters responded to a house fire in the 1900 block of Home Avenue Monday night. / Photo: CFD
Columbus firefighters worked a house fire around 10 Monday night in the 1900 block of Home Avenue.
Columbus Fire Department spokesman Capt. Michael Wilson says when firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from doors and windows. Initial reports to responders said everyone who lived at the home got out.
Wilson says a team of firefighters searched the home as crews working outside removed windows so that heat and dangerous gases could exit the home. Upon ventilating the home, firefighters placed a positive pressure fan in the rear door of the home to aid in removing the toxic smoke.
This aggressive attack allowed the interior crew to locate the fire in the basement and quickly extinguish the flames. A thermal imaging camera was used to ensure that the fire had not extended to other areas of the home. Fire personnel noted that there were no audible smoke alarms while on scene. Damages are estimated at $15,000. The fire remains under investigation.
The home owner contacted 911 and advised that there was smoke in the home. The owner, along with a pet dog, had left the home before fire crews arrived on scene.
Last Updated: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 4:28:42 AM
WCSI Radio • Mailing Address: P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202 • Studio: 3212 Washington Street
• Columbus, IN 47203