|WCSI Local News|
Battalion Chief Tim Hughes and Firefighter Rick Mullis examine the exterior chimney. / Photo: CFD Capt. Mike Wilson
The Columbus Fire Department responded to a chimney fire late Thursday morning at 1014 Franklin Street.
Capt. Mike Wilson said that one of the occupants told firefighters that he had placed a piece of cardboard into the fireplace. The cardboard burned quickly, igniting creosote on the inside of the chimney.
After calling 911, the occupants used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames as the firefighters were arriving. Firefighters inspected the home and used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire was out.
Wilson says this incident is a good reminder that creosote, a crusty deposit left behind by smoke, can ignite into a dangerous fire. He urges you to use only clean, well-seasoned wood that has been split and dried properly. Use only paper or kindling wood to start a fire. He adds that having working smoke detectors will double your chances of surviving a house fire.
Last Updated: Friday, January 24, 2014 10:04:17 AM
WCSI Radio • Mailing Address: P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202 • Studio: 3212 Washington Street
• Columbus, IN 47203