|WCSI Local News|
The Columbus Fire Department responded to a fire Monday morning at Rightway Fasteners in Walesboro.
CFD Public Information Officer Mike Wilson says that just before 7:30 a.m., an overheated motor caused oil in a pit to ignite. A manager at the factory told firefighters that the oil, which is used during the quenching process to harden metals, is heated to specific temperatures. The malfunctioning motor raised the oil temperature to the point of combustion.
When the fire began, an employee activated a fire alarm pull station and the building was evacuated. Maintenance employee Jeremy Workman grabbed a fire extinguisher to battle the fire, which had flames that were several feet high. Workman, accompanied by three additional maintenance staff, used a total of 13 fire extinguishers to put out the fire.
Wilson said that firefighters arrived on the scene within minutes of the call. They inspected the area for any hidden flames and confirmed the fire was out.
Damage was minimal and there were no injuries.
Last Updated: Monday, January 27, 2014 12:11:25 PM
WCSI Radio • Mailing Address: P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202 • Studio: 3212 Washington Street
• Columbus, IN 47203