|WCSI Local News|
The Columbus Fire Department is investigating a garage fire that took place on 14th Street Monday evening.
CFD Capt. Mike Wilson says firefighters responded to the blaze at 2914 14th Street just before 6 p.m. When firefighters arrived they found flames coming from a detached garage.
The home owner, JoEllen Schownfeld, was not home at the time of the fire. Shownfeld's grandson, 18-year-old Chris Hilderbrand, also lives in the home. He told investigators that he had plugged in a space heater to warm the garage. Hilderbrand said he left the home and estimated ten minutes had passed when he received the call about the fire.
Wilson said that firefighters were able to douse the flames within minutes of their arrival. Crews removed the overhead door to assist in extinguishing the blaze. Wilson noted that snow and recent rains added hazards to the efforts of firefighters.
Columbus Fire Department Investigator, Keith Owen, said that he found an extension cord that lead from the home to the garage but was unable to determine a cause at this time. The fire remains under investigation. Damages are estimated at $10,000.
Wilson says that residents should never leave space heaters unattended. He added that space heaters should never be used with extension cords.
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:01:57 AM
WCSI Radio • Mailing Address: P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202 • Studio: 3212 Washington Street
• Columbus, IN 47203