WCSI Local News
North Park Dentistry

Weekend Fire Causes $85k Damage to Duplex

Columbus Fire Department is alerting residents to the importance of smoke alarms, after a weekend fire in a duplex in downtown Columbus caused $85,000 in damage and left eight people homeless.

Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the Columbus Fire Department, says that firefighters were called to the 500 block of Eighth Street at almost 7 a.m. on Saturday. When they arrived at the home they found the second and third floors and the roof engulfed in flames and thick black smoke. Firefighters fought through the flames on the second floor and once they reached the third floor they had the fire out in about two minutes, Wilson said.

One of the apartments was vacant. The renter of the occupied apartment, Kimberly Simmons, had lived there since December. She said there were 14 people in the apartment at the time of the fire and the apartment had eight occupants. All of the people, including five children, escaped the home. Two adults had minor injures but declined medical treatment, Wilson said.

Although the landlord said there were hard-wired smoke alarms in the residence, firefighters heard no alarms on the scene, Wilson said.

Wilson said that having a working smoke alarm will double your chances of surviving a residential fire. He said you can contact the Columbus Fire Department if you need assistance with smoke alarms or would like information about fire prevention.  

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:30:36 PM

| More

More Headlines

Advantage Partners

Reliable Comfort Heating and Air Conditioning

WCSI Radio • Mailing Address: P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202 • Studio: 3212 Washington Street • Columbus, IN  47203
PH: 812-372-4448 • Email: wcsi@wcsiradio.com
A White River Broadcasting Station • A Division of The Findlay Publishing Company
© 2014 All Rights Reserved