|WCSI Local News|
Governor Mike Pence is proclaiming April 7-11 as Work Zone Awareness Week in Indiana.
Work Zone Awareness Week marks the ceremonial start to highway construction season and intends to bring awareness to motorist and worker safety in work zones. The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) is dedicated to continuously improving work zone safety, and INDOT needs participation from everyone, especially motorists, to make highway work zones as safe as possible.
INDOT says it will invest nearly $800 million in highway construction projects this year to enhance safety, mobility and economic growth in Indiana. INDOT spokesman Harry Maginity says that highway work zones must balance maintaining access for motorists, residents, businesses and emergency services while also giving workers a safe environment to do their work. He says that thousands of vehicles drive through their work places at high speeds, and it is critical for everyone's safety to drive safely.
This year's national theme is "Work Zone Speeding: A Costly Mistake," which highlights the consequences of dangerous driving in work zones. Motorists in Indiana face fines of up to $1,000 for speeding and up to $5,000 for driving recklessly through work zones. Drivers who injure or kill a highway worker could face a $10,000 fine and up to eight years behind bars.
April is also Distracted Driving Awareness Month. The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, Indiana Department of Labor, Indiana State Police and INDOT have partnered to award $5,000 scholarships to high school and college students who compose the most creative and viral social media posts on Twitter, Instagram and Vine. The campaign runs through the month of April. Go to www.txtl8r.in.gov for contest rules and information.
As part of Work Zone Awareness Week in Indiana, INDOT would like to alert drivers to some of the major work zones they might encounter in Indiana this construction season.
1. I-65 pavement repairs from State Road 50 to State Road 56.
2. I-74 in Decatur County: Resurfacing from Shelby County line to State Road 3.
3. State Road 3 in North Vernon: Reconstruction from Smith St. to State Road 50 in North Vernon.
4. State Road 9 in Bartholomew County: Resurfacing between State Road 46 and Shelby County line.
5. State Road 135 in Johnson County: Added turn lanes at Smokey Row Road.
East Central Indiana:
1. U.S. 31 in Hamilton County: Upgrading U.S. 31 to freeway standards between I-465 and State Road 38.
2. Operation Indy Commute I-69: Adding lanes to southbound I-69 between 116th St. and 82nd St.
3. Operation Indy Commute I-65: Interchange improvement at I-65 and I-465 south; adding lanes to I-65 between Southport Rd. and I-465; adding lanes to I-465 between I-65 and Emerson Ave.
4. I-70 East of Indianapolis: Improving pavement between State Road 9 and Mt. Comfort Rd; improving pavement between State Road 3 and State Road 109; improving pavement between Centerville Rd. and the Ohio state line.
5. I-69 North of Indianapolis: Improving pavement between State Road 37 and State Road 26.
1. U.S. 150 in Orange County: Reconstruction between State Road 56 and State Road 37.
2. State Road 37 in Lawrence and Orange Counties: Reconstruction between State Road 60 and U.S. 150.
3. I-64 in Warrick County: Resurfacing between I-164 and State Road 61.
4. State Road 54 in Sullivan and Greene Counties: Resurfacing between U.S. 41 and State Road 59.
5. State Road 64 in Gibson County: Resurfacing between U.S. 41 and I-69.
West Central Indiana:
1. I-70 in Clay County: Resurfacing from State Road 59 to six miles east of State Road 59.
2. I-70 in Vigo County: Bridge deck replacements over Clear Creek and Sugar Creek bridges
3. I-74 in Montgomery County: Resurfacing from State Road 25 to just west of U.S. 231.
4. I-74 in Hendricks County: Resurfacing from State Road 39 to the Marion County line.
5. I-65 in Clinton County: Resurfacing from one mile north to three miles north of State Road 28.
1. I-65 in Lake County: Resurfacing between U.S. 231 and U.S. 30.
2. I-94 in Porter County: Bridge deck replacements, multiple locations near Portage, Porter, and Chesterton.
3. State Road 912/Cline Avenue: Resurfacing between I-94 and U.S. 12 (Columbus Drive).
4. U.S. 31 in St. Joseph and Marshall Counties: New road construction, multiple locations between U.S. 20 bypass and U.S. 30.
5. State Road 933 in St. Joseph County: Resurfacing between State Road 331/Capital Avenue and the Elkhart County line.
1. State Road 930/Coliseum Blvd. in Fort Wayne: Added travel lanes from Parnell Ave. to Crescent Ave.
2. State Road 1/Dupont Road in Allen County: Interchange modification at I-69 Exit 316.
3. State Road 14 in Allen County: Added travel lanes from West Hamilton Rd. to Scott Rd.
4. State Road 19 in Elkhart County: Added travel lanes between Lusher Ave. and Franklin St.
5. U.S. 20 in Elkhart County: Added travel lanes from 3/4 mile east of County Road 17 to State Road 15.
For more information on work zone safety, visit www.workzonesafety.in.gov. Motorists can learn about highway work zones at www.trafficwise.in.gov or by calling (800) 261-ROAD (7623).
Last Updated: Monday, April 07, 2014 9:00:29 AM
WCSI Radio • Mailing Address: P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202 • Studio: 3212 Washington Street
• Columbus, IN 47203