|WCSI Local News|
Columbus firefighters are crediting working smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher for helping save a home that was hit with a dryer fire Monday.
Capt. Mike Wilson says a resident in the 2800 block of Lake Stream Drive was about to leave for work Monday evening when he heard the smoke alarm. He found smoke coming out from underneath the electric dryer and could see embers falling on the floor. And then flames burst from the dryer door.
The resident grabbed the extinguisher and when fire fighters arrived the fire was already out. Columbus firefighters set up ventilation fans to clear out the smoke and removed pets from the home. The pets didn't seem injured by the smoke, Wilson said.
Wilson says that working smoke alarms double your chances of surviving a fire.
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:29:40 AM
WCSI Radio • Mailing Address: P.O. 1789 Columbus, IN 47202 • Studio: 3212 Washington Street
• Columbus, IN 47203